The following on-site articles are reprinted with permission from Zero Dean.
Special thanks from the author: I would like to give special thanks and credit to Hollywood casting director, Bonnie Gillespie, for inspiring my first articles on headshots as well as her generous sharing of information and insight into the world of headshots from a casting director’s perspective. For more headshots related goodness, please be sure to see her headshots columns at Showfax, including, “Bad Headshots, Good Headshots” and “Bad Headshots, Good Headshots II“.
All About Headshots
- What is a Headshot? The Basics.
- What makes a great headshot?
- When should you update your headshot?
- How much do headshots cost?
- Why hiring a professional headshots photographer matters.
- How to find a good headshots photographer.
- How to choose a good headshots photographer.
- Do you need a hair stylist for headshots?
- Do you need a make-up artist for your headshots?
- How to prepare for your headshots photo shoot.
- What to wear for your headshots shoot.
- How to print your headshots: In color or black & white, with borders or without?
- Where to get headshot critiques and feedback?
- Is it ok to get your headshots retouched?
- What is the difference between model headshots and actor headshots?
Exposing Headshot Photographer Marketing Strategies
How to avoid being manipulated into working with a headshot photographer based on clever marketing tricks rather than the quality of their work and services.
- They imply that not working with them could could jeopardize your acting career.
- The photographer claims to have a totally unique “process” to create headshots.
- The photographer claims that studio headshots are better than natural light headshots.
- The headshot photographer claims that their headshots will get you work.
- The photographer highlights the fact that they’ve worked with celebrities.
- The headshot photographer claims to know casting directors who love their work.
- The photographer has been featured in the media.
- The photographer claims that professionals are the only ones who can get your headshots done right.
- The headshot photographer charges a premium price, but “isn’t your career worth it?”
- Wikipedia article on head shots covering actor headshots, model headhots, and corporate headshots.
- Top 10 Tips for a Perfect Headshot (Women Fitness.net)
- Six Tips for Perfect Headshots (ActingBiz.com)
You may want to consider checking out the following sections at our sister site, Modeling-Advice.com:
- How to prepare for a photo shoot
- Exposing photographer marketing tactics (How to avoid being manipulated into working with a model or portraits photographer based on clever marketing tricks rather than the quality of their work and services).
Content written by Los Angeles headshot & portraits photographer, Zero Dean and copyright © 2005-2014. All rights reserved.